Back on the ranch we’ve had quite a few active weeks out here. This as we pump in and push new content to the PowerDeck powered site.
As I get my head around what PowerDeck has to offer and as I add in more content, the more and more I like the way things are shaping. Likewise with what I’ve able to accomplish with both the site and the features that PowerDeck has to offer.
In this instance, its often the small things that count. With PowerDeck, there’s their integration with Facebook and Twitter. A sort of “set up and forget” thing. Now, every time I add new content to the site, PowerDeck posts out notices to Facebook and Twitter. Unless I’ve overlooked something, don’t recall this happening over at Photoshelter. There, this as I recall, was a decidedly manual affair, as in having to click on a button somewhere – if you remembered to ever do it. Don’t ever recall doing it.
While working on the site, there are couple of other small things I appreciate. One feature are the Statistics on the Activity page. Here you find a selection of stats relating to site visitors, search engine visits, site searches, price look ups and so forth. Over at Photoshelter they had stuff there but, unlike PhotoDecks day by day thing, everything seemed so remote from the everyday. About the only daily stat that I got on Photoshelter was the most viewed 100 images. Nice but that doesn’t really cut it or go anywhere.
While Photoshelter used to push how effective it was on the SEO front, for all the talk it never really seemed to get to the metal. On that side there were forever complaints about how only parts of collections were crawled, that specific images never showed up in search or stats and whatever. While SEO counts for somethings, it doesn’t count for everything. That said, PhotoDeck seems to hold its own in this regard. With the package I was using at Photoshelter, I could only use Google web tools and not Analytics to see what was happening on the SEO front. Thus, only got a general glimpse of what was unfolding there. Here at PhotoDeck, as mentioned before, things are much closer to the metal. While there’s no getting away from it, images have to be marked up and keyworded accordingly for them to feature in any search results – site-wise as well as across the Internet. Thus for, the results have been interesting – as in real time results and with everything being featured as intended.
One other items that’s made working with PhotoDeck such a pleasure and that’s been site integration. Like Photoshelter, when you start off, you get a generic site name. In my case, with Photoshelter I had http://rcoles.photoshelter.com. Not exactly the most user friendly or easiest of URL’s to remember. It served its purpose and that was about it. At PhotoDeck I started off with http://rogancoles.photodeck.com. In this last week took things a step further and “integrated” the site as a sub-domain into my main web site. I ended up making things a lot more complicated than they ever should have been. All it really took was to add a CNAME pointing to the PhotoDeck site on my site’s DNS management page and to make a small corresponding change on the PhotoDeck site. And, that was it. The PhotoDeck site is now referred to as http://archive.rogancoles.com.
On the main site there’s now a new menu link at the top of the page – as in SALES. Clicking on this will now take you straight through to the PhotoDeck/Archive site. Back on the archive site, click on the “Home” link and this will bring you back to the main web site. All very easy and seamless.
Yup, there’s still a fair bit if “fine tuning” to be done on the site. But, we’ll get there as we add more content and “round out the house”, so to speak.